GRATITUDE RELEASE DAY MARCH 24th!
Barleywine is a beast of a beer style, there's no debating that. And it's always held a special place in our hearts and in our glasses here at East End Brewing. Unique in its composition and presentation, and in its ability to gain complexity and improve with age, barleywine is also really tasty.
We've been brewing our Gratitude Barleywine with the exact same recipe since our very first year, as an annual thanks to you, our GOOD BEER Fans, for supporting us throughout the year.
This has been yet another year of big changes for us here, so we've decided to offer you some extra appreciation this time... with THREE forms of Gratitude available on March 24*, from 10am-1pm (while supplies last):
- Bourbon Barrel aged Gratitude in 16oz cans
- "Regular old boring" Gratitude in 22oz wax-dipped bottles
- A limited run of Gratitude in our original packaging, with brand new artwork on hand silk screened over wrap labels, hand waxed, signed, numbered, and suitable for framing.
Okay, maybe you can't frame a bottle. But this is BY FAR the most ridiculous and beautiful package we've ever put our beer into. And while it's a massive amount of extra work, it's something too cool to not bring back on a smaller scale every once in a while. And this is the year!
Plus, on Gratitude Release Day, you'll also find:
- Vintage Gratitude bottles from the last couple years.
- Vintage Gratitude Flights with all sorts of gems from our deep-deep cellars.
- THE Gratitude Label Artist, and all around bird maven, Mary Tremonte will be here with a pop-up store.
- Prohibition Pastries will be feeding us all day at the Brewery.
Follow us on social media or at the Facebook event for more information closer to the date. (Stuff like pricing, details on the flights, and maybe even a food menu.)
*This year, we're opening up a bit early, because as barleywine fans already know, March 24 also the date of Kelly's infamous Hell With the Lid Off Barleywine festival, so plan your day accordingly, and responsibly.
Some of you may know that even before we moved into our current home back in 2012, Commonplace Coffee has been roasting coffee beans in our building. It's been a wonderful partnership over the years, mutually beneficial on so many fronts. Not only does it fill the building with even more wonderful aromas, but we've been able to use their coffees in our Eye Opener Coffee Porter, JoeMelt, & Vanilla Latte Cream Ale - not to mention keeping a steady stream of cold brewed coffee on our nitro tap.
So it's with mixed emotions that I tell you that last month, Commonplace has moved on to bigger things, quite literally. They're now doing all of their roasting in a great big warehouse right down the road. And while we're sad to see them go, we couldn't be happier for what's ahead, or be more proud of what they've brought to Pittsburgh's coffee scene in just a few short years.
And don't worry. That nitro cold brew we have on tap isn't going anywhere. GOOD FRIENDS and a good brew go together like, well, coffee and beer. Congrats to everyone at Commonplace!
DRAFT AND CAN RELEASE UPDATES:
Earlier this week, we released a whole bunch of hop-forward beers in cans and on draft. As of this writing, there's still some of everything left here, so come grab some for the beer fridge.
And as a reminder, you can always click on TODAY'S BEERS on our website to see a current list of draft and bottle & can offerings. Here's what we've got for you:
- CAUTION SLIPPY NE DIPA 8.2% A big, dank New England Style Double IPA with Eureka and Experimental 06297 hops. 16oz cans and draft.
- PARTLY CLAHDY 6.0% With some nice updates from our first release of this beer, this New England style IPA focuses more on flavor and dry hop additions than on bitterness, with El Dorado and Idaho 7 hops. 16oz cans and draft.
- BIGGERHOP 9.5% A new batch of our classic West Coast Double IPA with Simcoe & Amarillo hops. Best enjoyed FRESH. 16oz cans and draft.
And in Draft Only news...
- PREMIERE SAISON 7.3% Spring calls for farmhouse ales and our Belgian-style Premiere Saison answers that call with a light, crisp, dry-finishing ale.
- STEEL CUT O'ATMEAL STOUT 4.4% Punctuation liberties aside, our hearty Oatmeal Stout will be back on draft this month, lower in alcohol and perfect for a nice long session on St. Patrick's Day.
- MASHUGANA STOUT 14%??? Later this month (we aren't exactly sure when), we'll be releasing a great big bunch of "nonsense" that we put together for you. It's a strong stout beer brewed with a couple hundred pounds of belgian dark chocolate, loads of actual marshmallows, and then dry-crackered with crushed graham crackers. We think it's pretty delicious, but it'll take a bit more time before it's finished up.
And while I know this is the "DRAFT ONLY" section, we're going to see about getting some Mashugana into cans for you too. Campfires at the ready... stay tuned!
Sweet Horror is Back!
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday March 4! Sweet Horror is back at the Brewpub; It’s a pop-up featuring vegan treats and horror/pop-culture inspired art (think zombies, aliens, and the whole realm of horror pop-culture) And the event is free and family friendly! Get a beer for yourself and a housemade root beer or ginger ale for the kids. It's the best vegan treats in Pittsburgh, under one roof with some great artists. See you Sunday!
PEDAL PALE ALE KEG RIDE TICKETS NOW ON SALE
Ride a bike, have a beer, raise some money for charity!
Saturday, April 21 is this year's Keg Ride, where we meet at the Brewery and then escort the first kegs of Pedal Pale Ale through the city to a mystery destination...
Tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW, okay?
Get your tickets now!
This Saturday, March 3 we're excited to be selling beer at the screening of the new Betty Davis documentary "They Say In Different" at PGH Filmmakers Regent Square theater. Come for the screening and live performance by Davis's band Funk House, and get a can of FRESH LOCAL BEER to enjoy during the show. We'll be donating a portion of our proceeds back to PGH filmmakers. Tickets on sale now!
Other Upcoming Events:
- Sunday, March 4
SWEET HOROR 4.0, 1-4pm Vegan treats and horror-inspired artwork at the Brewpub.
- Wednesday, March 7, 14, 21, 28
PUB QUIZ with Buzzworthy Pub Trivia at the Brewpub 7pm. Free!
- Thursday, March 4
POETRY & PINTS, 6-8pm Bring poetry to read, or just listen! At the Brewpub. Free!
- Sunday, March 11
- BEER BELLY YOGA with the amazing instructors from I Am Yoga Squirrel Hill. 10am-noon, tickets available here and hurry, the January yoga sold out!
- Saturday, March 24
GRATITUDE RELEASE DAY, 10am-1pm
Come get your Barleywine at the Brewpub!
- Saturday, March 24
GRAINS-TO-GLASS BREWERY TOUR 1-2pm at the Brewpub. More info & tickets here.